Sunday, January 31, 2010

Crock Pot Pot Roast

 
Comfort-tastic

Right now, everyone seems to be getting snow but us poor Charleston kids.  I've been waiting for a good comfort food type-day to post this recipe, and I think the time has finally come. Plus, my sister is whining for me to post again.  Which I understand, because I get sad when my favorite bloggers (see left sidebar) wait more than a few days between posts.

So, pot roast it is.  This is a great, easy, ridiculously cheap recipe that takes very little effort.  One of my mother's.  To make this, I woke up before working a morning shift, seared the beef, threw it in the crockpot.  9 hours later, voila!

I used a 3-ish pound bottom round roast, but really, you could use any cheap, large, tough cut of beef.  I tend to buy different cuts when they are on sale at the grocery store and freeze them for later.  This roast was like $6 or $7, a serious bargain.  Obviously, you can adjust the recipe to make it the kitchen sink type- that's definitely what I did. So, here is what I ended up using:

Crock Pot Pot Roast


3 to 4 pound cut of beef, such as bottom round roast or chuck roast
flour, for dredging
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
several cloves chopped garlic
3 bay leaves
herbs to taste (I used a good amount of crushed red pepper, dried oregano, and a few sprigs fresh rosemary)


Dredge pot roast with flour and sear in hot oil in heavy frying pan.


Place in crock pot with remaining ingredients. 

Yes, there is actually beef under there!

Cook on low at least 8 hours.  I cooked mine 9, but I don't think it would have hurt to have left it on a couple more hours.  

smells so good!

In the last 15 minutes, remove meat.  Mix 1/2 cup of pot juices with 2 tablespoons cornstarch.  Add to pot.  Cook on high, and stir until thickened.

 

I served this with some delicious rosemary mashed potatoes and some green beans sauteed with bacon.  Don't think I've mentioned this yet, but rosemary is my favorite herb for wintertime.  
~

This made SO many servings! I ate this for like 3 days straight.  Even after all the meat was gone, there was still a ton of hearty, meaty tomato gravy.  So, I decided to serve it on top of some pasta.  Finish with a fresh grating of Parmesan cheese, and you have another meal! 

Leftovers.

Cheap, cheap, cheap. College kids, I'm talking to you! Impress your friends and cook dinner one night.  Everyone will go home happy and stuffed.


Ya'll say hi to the snow for me.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

As the official blog plate provider I can demand posts whenever I want. PS- I bought you a new plate because I can't stop now.
So there.

Erika said...

horray! I just told Marg the other day that I was anxiously awaiting your next post. Visit us soon!